Allie’s passion for equine dentistry started during her time in California when she often escaped the hospital to learn from a visiting mobile veterinary dental specialist. She attended a week long workshop in 2017 and a second workshop in 2018. Through these workshops and after working with Dr Olivia James (specialist in veterinary dentistry) Allie has gained invaluable experience and knowledge in this field.


Equine Dentistry is so much more than just filing sharp enamel points. The single most important aspect of an equine dental is without a doubt the oral exam. We believe that all horses deserve a healthy and comfortable mouth.

“What is not diagnosed cannot be treated”

Approximately 20% of horses only have sharp enamel points that need filing (also called floating). That leaves a staggering 80% that have oral pathology. By the use of a bright focal light source and a mirror, all aspects of the mouth are examined and pathology/disease diagnosed and assessed.

“Periodontal disease in the most common disease of the horse”

Periodontal disease is a painful oral condition that describes inflammation of the supporting structures of the tooth i.e. the gingiva, periodontal ligaments, cementum and alveolar bone. Studies have shown that up to 60% of horses over the age of 15 years suffer from periodontal disease.

Veterinary Equine Dentistry Consultations

A equine dentistry consultation involves a 10-point health check (physical examination), the taking a detailed patient history, weighing on the digital scales, the provision of sedatives and pain relief (if needed), a thorough examination of the external structures of the head and a detailed oral examination. Only then can treatment of pathology be performed, as well as the floating of sharp enamel points for proper equilibrium.

Request a Booking – click here

Other procedures that can be performed if required are intraoral and surgical extractions, the provision of nerve blocks (for otherwise painful procedures), treatment of periodontal disease, orthodontics, fracture repair and digital imaging (X-rays). In addition your horse’s entire health can be looked after by nutrition evaluation, the administration of de-wormers and vaccinations etc.